Monday morning. I studied Keith over my coffee cup, thinking regretfully about a whole day at work without him. The weekend had been nothing short of wonderful.
Keith actually had a rather cute pout, though I would never dream of telling him that. At the moment, he was using it quite recklessly. I bit back my smile and made my voice stern. ‘I think we have had enough of the sulks for this morning, don’t you think?’
He shrugged uninterestedly, refusing to look at me.
I said mildly. ‘Straight to the apartment and then straight back after you finish up. Make sure you do a good job. You can start putting your things together if you have time, so we can just pick them up tonight. If not, I’ll help you when we go over. Now finish your juice. I got to get going soon.’
‘I feel like I am in jail, for Christ sake!’ he said crossly. His mood had steadily deteriorated as it got closer for me to leave for the office. I understood how he felt about being left alone and grounded, and with strict instructions to do house cleaning on top of everything, but the decision had been made and he was not getting out of it.
I shook my head at him. ‘We’ve been through this, and we are not going to argue about it. I’ll try to be early, and maybe we can take a swim at the pool when we go pick up your stuff. How does that sound?’
I knew Keith was chafing at the restrictions and I hoped a swim might be able to release some of his restless energy. Unfortunately, he did not seem any happier at my cajoling. He pushed his glass of juice away irritably and some of it sloshed onto the table. His eyes darted to mine quickly, and then looked down at the mess he had made.
‘Get a cloth and clean that up.’ I said quietly.
He got up without argument and mopped up the juice. Then without saying a word, he began clearing the plates and cups into the sink. ‘I might as well get started since today seems dedicated to household chores.’ The last two words were said in a tone which left me in no doubt of his feelings.
I stood up and helped him with the last of the dishes, still secretly amused. Then I pulled him into a hug.
‘Come here brat. You’ve done nothing but snarl at me the whole morning. Can I at least have a kiss before I go?’
He turned his face up and offered me his mouth, relenting a little. I took my time and kissed him thoroughly, not wanting to leave him angry and miserable.
‘Have a good day, darling. I’ll call you at the apartment.’ I murmured against his ear.
‘Whatever,’ he said nonchalantly, making me seriously doubt my kissing skills.
‘Do your time sheet, and don’t forget to let the management office know your arrangements. OK?’
‘I KNOW!’ Keith scowled, twisted out of my arms, and stamped his foot.
Calmly, I turned him around and swatted him smartly on the rump. ‘Enough Keith!’ This time my tone was no nonsense and he quickly sobered. ‘You have expressed your opinion quite effectively and frankly I am not impressed. So let’s just get a move on, OK?’
I paused, watching for his next reaction. His eyes were brooding – and sexy as hell, I might add – but he nodded his head and mumbled a ‘sorry’ sincerely enough.
I tousled his hair, making him grimace, then gathered my briefcase and coat, and with another brief kiss and a wink, left for the day.
My secretary looked up in surprise when I breezed past her, and I realized I had actually been whistling softly to myself.
‘Good morning, Marlee,’ I said cheerfully.
‘Well, someone’s in a good mood this morning.’ Her remark was cryptic. Marlee was not the most amiable person in the world, but she got a heck of a lot of work done and done well. I needed that in a secretary. God knows the pace there was mad enough.
There was a meeting at mid-morning which took me right through to lunch. I grabbed the phone and called Keith’s apartment as soon as I got back to my office. He answered almost immediately.
‘Hi sweetheart.’ I said softly. Another thing I had missed was calling him while at work. ‘How’s it going?’
‘Fine!’ he said, enthusiastically. I raised my eyebrows. I was relieved at the improved mood.
We chatted a bit, I reminded him to eat, then hung up as a colleague poked his head into my office to hurry me to join them for lunch. The rest of the day was packed with emails, phone calls, and more meetings, but I was able to clear my desk and leave in good time and made it home by six.
Keith’s car was already in the garage and he jumped into my arms as soon as I cleared the kitchen door. ‘Hey there!’ I said, laughing and steadying myself against the counter as he crushed his weight into me.
‘I thought you were never coming back!’ he said, as he kissed me briefly. ‘I’ve packed our swimming things … come on!’ He took my hand and dragged me upstairs. I quickly stripped and changed, while Keith sat on the bed and watched me with a wicked twinkle in his eye, making suggestive noises. I truly enjoyed Keith in a cheeky and sunny mood.
The drive to the apartment was filled with his chatter, filling me in on his day. Keith grinned mischievously as he opened his apartment door and let me in. He smugly stood back, watching my face.
I looked around, pleased. He had done an outstanding job. I wandered into the bedrooms, bathrooms, then kitchen; all were spick and span. Keith tugged at me when I had finished the inspection. ‘Come on, Dusty! Let’s go swim now.’
The water was heavenly in the heated pool and the best part was there was no one around and we had the whole pool to ourselves. I did the laps leisurely, enjoying the soothing effect of the water, while Keith – in true Olympic style - cut across the pool with strong, clean strokes. His energy was boundless.
It was nearing eight by the time we decided to stop and go grab something to eat. I watched the lithe body appreciatively as Keith put his hands on the side of the pool and pulled himself out. I opted for the steps, ignoring Keith’s jibes about old age.
Keith had packed up the rest of the stuff he wanted to bring with him and with our hands full, we staggered out to my car. We were getting all the stuff loaded when a man walked past us.
‘Hello Mr Fenton,’ he called out amiably when he recognized Keith.
‘Oh hi,’ Keith smiled at him, then somewhat reluctantly turned to introduce us. ‘Um, this is George, the supervisor from the management office. George, my friend Dusty.’
We shook hands.
‘Everything locked up at the apartment, Mr Fenton?’ George asked, hovering solicitously.
‘Yes, thanks.’ Keith said, throwing the last bag into the trunk.
‘Good, good. Don’t you worry about security, Mr Fenton. We have a good system here, complete with surveillance and CCTV.’
‘Great, thanks,’ Keith said, edging towards the car door, eager to be off. I smiled at George, signaling our intention to leave, and got ready to slide into the driver’s seat.
‘I hope you were satisfied with the maid service this morning,’ George said, holding the car door for Keith. ‘They are very reliable, but I’ll be sure to check on them when they next come in anyway. Just leave it to me, Mr Fenton.’
Keith made a strangled sound, dived in, snatched the door out of George’s hands, and slammed it shut. Then he turned to look at me, his eyes both laughing and penitent at the same time.
I raised one eyebrow, and put the car into reverse without a word. Keith watched me surreptitiously, out of the corner of his eye and I knew he was trying to gauge my mood. I decided to let him stew for a bit.
‘Where are we going, Dusty?’ Keith asked in a small voice, breaking the silence.
My tone was neutral. ‘I thought we could stop by the all night diner at the Circle?’ It was a cozy little place about ten minutes from our home. They offered only a simple menu but the food was always well prepared and we had enjoyed eating there in the past. ‘OK with you?’
‘Yeah, OK,’ Keith said, sighing softly, with another sidelong glance at me. I glanced over at him and he ducked his head, biting his lip.
‘Come, babe,’ I said when we arrived. ‘You must be starved. I know I am!’ I put my hand on Keith’s back, holding the door for him and ushering him in. The fall air had chilled quickly and he was shivering as he brushed past me.
The food did not take long to come and I looked appreciatively at the steaming plate in front of me. ‘Looks good, and smells good,’ I said cheerfully, picking up my fork and knife. I had worked up quite an appetite.
Keith looked a little less enthusiastically at his own plate. His mood seemed to have deflated and he was nervously pushing his food around.
‘Keith?’ I said gently, and he jumped. I hid my smile and nodded at his food. ‘Food’s no good?’
‘No, oh no, its fine. It’s good.’ He jabbed at a piece of meat and put it into his mouth, and started to chew. He looked anything but enjoying the meal.
I finished my dinner, sighed contentedly, signaled the waitress over and ordered coffee.
‘Finish your plate, please.’ I said as I saw Keith start to push it away.
He began to protest, but decided against it when he saw my eye on him. He ate another mouthful, then laid down his fork and said abruptly, ‘Dusty, I can explain … ‘
‘Later … finish your meal, Keith. We’ll talk when we get home.’
He opened his mouth and shut it again. ‘Oh shit!’
‘What was that?’ I inquired politely.
‘Nothing!’ he mumbled, giving me his famous scowl